Rainbow Cupcakes

So when it came time for our school’s bake sale a week ago, I thought Rainbow Cupcakes would be fun for a change. I was right, they were the first ones to go because children cannot resist color and lots of it. They even beat out the luscious chocolate cupcakes I made. It is Rainbow Cupcakes from now on!

This is simple to do by dividing the batter equally among six small bowls- I used yellow cake mix for deeper hues. Color each bowl of batter a different color. I made- red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple.

Layer colored batter in the order of a rainbow’s colors into cupcake liners and bake according to the package directions. Remember the order? ROY G. BIV: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo (I skipped this one), and violet.

I wanted the frosting to go in a swirl of rainbow colors too so I used a technique Ma taught me years ago from her cake decorating classes. To get your frosting to go on in a swirl of color, dye regular buttercream frosting into three separate colors; I used pink, blue, and yellow.

Unfortunately I did not have jewel toned frosting colors to match the cupcakes, so I did mix jewel tones with pastels. Alert Stacy and Clinton. This did bother me a little at first but one can’t cry over cupcakes now can they? Place spoonfuls of each color side by side in a pastry bag working your way to the top of the bag. It is easier if you turn the bag inside out like you do when putting on pantyhose- at least for you ladies- and working your way up. Once the frosting is piped on your cupcakes, you will notice other colors like green, purple, and orange.

Starting at 12 o’clock on the outer edge of each cupcake and using constant pressure on the pastry bag, pipe frosting clockwise for three rotations, working your way toward the center ending in a little peak.

At the bake sale we placed each cupcake in a 9 ounce plastic punch cup and invited the children to decorate the cupcakes they had purchased. The cups caught all spills, and let me say there were some big spills. The decorated cupcakes were then placed in cellophane party bags and tied with a pretty ribbon for transporting home.

I can’t wait to find an excuse to make these again. They brought smiles to many little faces.

For more Cupcake Videos see my Big Red Kitchen Youtube Channel

Related Posts:
Buttercream Frosting
Soft Pretzel Samoas
Little Peach Cakes

My children’s play is tonight!!! I can not wait to see them but I think I will be a little nervous too. Gulp.

Have a grand weekend filled with lingering, delicious meals. I think I will sleep! Also a big fat Happy Mother’s Day too!

1. noble pig
    Posted May 9, 2009 at 10:30 AM | Permalink

Those turned out so cute…between these and the other rainbow one’s I just saw, I am inspired. Check these out too http://bakingbites.com/2009/05/rainbow-cupcakes/

See I wonder if doing that way would be successful. What do you think? I bet the kids loved them!

2. That Girl
    Posted May 9, 2009 at 5:26 PM | Permalink

I’ve seen the cake version, but never the cupcake version! Too cute, but my favorite is definitely the sprinkles at the end. They give it such a fairy quality.

3. Sarah
    Posted May 9, 2009 at 5:34 PM | Permalink

OMG, BRILLIANT! Thanks for the frosting tip 🙂

4. rookie cookie
    Posted May 9, 2009 at 10:47 PM | Permalink

Those are the funnest, cutest, coolest cupcakes ever. Love them.

And I never knew how to do multi-color frosting. Thanks for posting some pix of that.

5. Elra
    Posted May 10, 2009 at 12:16 PM | Permalink

OH, Speechless!
    Truly beautiful Robin Sue.

6. Susan
    Posted May 10, 2009 at 3:59 PM | Permalink

What a terrific idea- they are really a show stopper!

Fabulous!

7. grahamstravelblog
    Posted May 11, 2009 at 7:35 AM | Permalink

Those looked great right before all the sprinkles. Who invented sprinkles anyway? Do you know the sprinkle origin story?

Anywho, the frosting job looks better than many that I’ve seen at boutique cupcake shops. Good job, gold star.

8. oneordinaryday
    Posted May 11, 2009 at 10:56 AM | Permalink

Great tip for the frosting! Thanks for sharing it. The cupcakes look awesome. I know they’d be a hit around here.
    Michelle

9. biz319
    Posted May 11, 2009 at 12:07 PM | Permalink

I am sure the play went well! Beautiful cupcakes too!

And a happy belated Mother’s Day to you!

10. Patsyk
    Posted May 11, 2009 at 1:11 PM | Permalink

What a fantastic idea! I know my boys would definitely be in love with these cupcakes! I also appreciate the tips on piping the frosting on them… I’m still working on my decorating abilities!

11. Lis Garrett
    Posted May 11, 2009 at 2:04 PM | Permalink

I don’t think I’d be able to eat those – they’re too beautiful!

12. Netts Nook
    Posted May 11, 2009 at 5:00 PM | Permalink

Oh Robin Sue your cupcakes look perfect. Thanks for sharing.

13. Lisa
    Posted May 11, 2009 at 5:30 PM | Permalink

Those look really fun! Great job!

14. Brilynn
    Posted May 11, 2009 at 6:36 PM | Permalink

I’m sure those brought smiles to both little and big faces alike, they look awesome!

15. GFE--gluten free easily
    Posted May 11, 2009 at 7:59 PM | Permalink

No, I’m quite sure NO one could resist those cupcakes! I’m going to have to find my gluten-free cupcake recipe. Too funny on the Stacy and Clinton comment–you crack me up!

Hope the play went well!

Shirley

16. unconfidential cook
    Posted May 12, 2009 at 8:39 PM | Permalink

Gorgeous! I’m turning this over to my daughter–she will LOVE these cupcakes. Thank you!

17. Mindy
    Posted May 13, 2009 at 9:44 AM | Permalink

These are beautiful! I can’t wait to try them! And I’m in need of a good buttercream frosting recipe since the last one I tried took hours to figure out!

18. Amanda
    Posted May 13, 2009 at 12:45 PM | Permalink

Wow how fun are those?? 🙂

19. Jenn@slim-shoppin
    Posted May 13, 2009 at 5:28 PM | Permalink

I am so impressed!

I’m pretty sure if I attempted to make those it would look like a preschooler made them!

Great job!

20. Juliana
    Posted May 13, 2009 at 8:54 PM | Permalink

WOW, love it! I am sure that you had a lot of fun making it! The pictures are so pretty, so tempting…love the colors.

21. Ingrid
    Posted May 15, 2009 at 9:43 AM | Permalink

I’ve been seeing a lot of rainbow cupcakes lately. Yours look really good. I especially like the rainbow frosting, very cool!I’m keeping these in mind for Babygirl’s end of the school year party. Thanks for sharing!
    ~ingrid

22. Martha
    Posted May 16, 2009 at 8:38 AM | Permalink

What beautiful cupcakes — I’ve never thought of doing this —

23. Elyse
    Posted May 17, 2009 at 11:47 PM | Permalink

Robin Sue, these cupcakes are so adorable!! I’m totally impressed, and I can’t wait to try the rainbow cupcakes for myself. They’re just great! I’m sure all of the kids loved them (well, duh, I already know they were a best seller 🙂 ). Great job! Sorry that I’ve been an absent commenter; I just finished up my law school exams and am finally getting around to my google reader.

24. Anonymous
    Posted May 18, 2009 at 12:06 AM | Permalink

These are lovely! I’ve always loved this idea when I’ve seen it on the net over the last few years. I had no idea folks were so creative. I daresay your cupcakes look the yummiest. Thank you for sharing!

25. Jazzy
    Posted May 18, 2009 at 12:16 AM | Permalink

I made a cake like this not that long ago, great concept.