Rainbow Cupcakes

So when it came time for our school’s bake sale a week ago, I thought Rainbow Cupcakes would be fun for a change. I was right, they were the first ones to go because children cannot resist color and lots of it. They even beat out the luscious chocolate cupcakes I made. It is Rainbow Cupcakes from now on!

This is simple to do by dividing the batter equally among six small bowls- I used yellow cake mix for deeper hues. Color each bowl of batter a different color. I made- red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple.

Layer colored batter in the order of a rainbow’s colors into cupcake liners and bake according to the package directions. Remember the order? ROY G. BIV: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo (I skipped this one), and violet.

I wanted the frosting to go in a swirl of rainbow colors too so I used a technique Ma taught me years ago from her cake decorating classes. To get your frosting to go on in a swirl of color, dye regular buttercream frosting into three separate colors; I used pink, blue, and yellow.

Unfortunately I did not have jewel toned frosting colors to match the cupcakes, so I did mix jewel tones with pastels. Alert Stacy and Clinton. This did bother me a little at first but one can’t cry over cupcakes now can they? Place spoonfuls of each color side by side in a pastry bag working your way to the top of the bag. It is easier if you turn the bag inside out like you do when putting on pantyhose- at least for you ladies- and working your way up. Once the frosting is piped on your cupcakes, you will notice other colors like green, purple, and orange.

Starting at 12 o’clock on the outer edge of each cupcake and using constant pressure on the pastry bag, pipe frosting clockwise for three rotations, working your way toward the center ending in a little peak.

At the bake sale we placed each cupcake in a 9 ounce plastic punch cup and invited the children to decorate the cupcakes they had purchased. The cups caught all spills, and let me say there were some big spills. The decorated cupcakes were then placed in cellophane party bags and tied with a pretty ribbon for transporting home.

I can’t wait to find an excuse to make these again. They brought smiles to many little faces.

For more Cupcake Videos see my Big Red Kitchen Youtube Channel

Related Posts:
Buttercream Frosting
Soft Pretzel Samoas
Little Peach Cakes

My children’s play is tonight!!! I can not wait to see them but I think I will be a little nervous too. Gulp.

Have a grand weekend filled with lingering, delicious meals. I think I will sleep! Also a big fat Happy Mother’s Day too!

1. erika
    Posted May 19, 2009 at 3:57 AM | Permalink

AMAZING! i love rainbow cupcakes!!! if only i knew how to bake… or had the time for it…:(

2. Lori
    Posted May 19, 2009 at 9:10 PM | Permalink

My kids would LOVE these. I need to make them!

3. I bijoux dello Stregatto
    Posted May 20, 2009 at 5:33 PM | Permalink

Wonderful cupcakes! It looks they were very good!!

4. Ami
    Posted June 15, 2009 at 9:48 PM | Permalink

Love this! I made them with only five colors (I didn't have any purple). The only thing I would change next time is the order -I'd put the blue/purple on the bottom and end with the red – the cupcakes would look prettier because any edging showing wouldn't be blueish green. I didn't attempt the rainbow icing -looked beautiful but I didn't trust my skills. I just put robin's egg blue icing with star sprinkles – the children loved them. Thanks for all your ideas!
    -Ami

Posted June 16, 2009 at 8:02 AM | Permalink

Ami I thought the same thing- to flip the colors over so the red would show. I think the blue icing sounds very pretty!

6. I love rainbows
    Posted June 23, 2009 at 11:26 PM | Permalink

You are my hero.
    This is the best idea ever.

7. mindy
    Posted June 30, 2009 at 10:45 AM | Permalink

I love these cupcakes, as will my children. I've made cookies in a similar style but they look so inviting in a cupcake. It is amazing how bright colors can make food look so much more appetizing.

8. tweekalina2
    Posted July 3, 2009 at 5:39 PM | Permalink

I love it!
    I made a rainbow wedding cake with white frosting…it makes it look like a rainbow with clouds!

9. Jolene
    Posted July 12, 2009 at 9:17 AM | Permalink

If you buy the Wilton gel food coloring, you can get much brighter colors. My kids are HUGE fans of this recipe!

Posted July 12, 2009 at 9:31 AM | Permalink

Jolene-Thanks I will have to do that. Pastels are pretty but I want BOLD for these. Thanks for stopping by!

11. Valerie
    Posted July 12, 2009 at 11:17 PM | Permalink

That's so cool! I never saw such neat cupcakes. Now I know what my next project is…

12. Events
    Posted July 19, 2009 at 1:51 AM | Permalink

Those are really cool looking! Now I'm gonna have to find something sweet to eat.

13. Kashif
    Posted July 28, 2009 at 9:28 AM | Permalink

These look lovely and very professional even though you haven't used professional icing tools but still they look great. Thanks for sharing.

14. Caroline
    Posted August 10, 2009 at 3:07 PM | Permalink

These are BEAUTIFUL! Found you via a Google search for "rainbow cupcakes" & am so happy! Have been perusing the rest of your blog for 15 minutes (should be working) & I'm going to save you as a favorite. Great ideas & beautiful execution…the photos are lovely. Thanks for taking the time to share your wonderful recipes with all of us…so glad to have found you!
    Best Wishes,
    Caroline

Posted August 10, 2009 at 3:52 PM | Permalink

Caroline- so glad you like my blog, thanks for visiting!!

16. kimmy
    Posted September 2, 2009 at 8:32 PM | Permalink

pretty pretty. im gonna make those right meow i hope the icing works =]

17. Gene C
    Posted December 3, 2009 at 4:11 PM | Permalink

Unicorn Poop.

18. starrrrrr
    Posted December 4, 2009 at 3:23 PM | Permalink

These are so pretty!! Do you have a shot where we can see the color of the cake more clearly?

19. Throckmorton Jones
    Posted May 25, 2010 at 12:13 AM | Permalink

Really glad you explained how to do the frosting with the colors- I was wondering that!

20. Jenny
    Posted July 14, 2010 at 1:52 PM | Permalink

Wow!!!! I LOVE these! As soon as we get a new oven, I am making these! So, so cute! 😀

21. Quirky Jessi
    Posted November 12, 2010 at 9:24 PM | Permalink

Who could resist the fun colors? I know I'd buy some, just to try them out, even though chocolate is definitely my favorite cupcake flavor.

22. Domestic Goddess
    Posted November 14, 2010 at 3:14 PM | Permalink

Robin Sue, I always wondered how others were able to swirl frosting onto their cupcakes with such pretty colors. Now that I know, I'd like to say thank you for the tip. I look forward to trying your rainbow cupcakes and the frosting. Also Robin, I wanted to let you know, that since I enjoy viewing your blog and all the wonderful recipes you have posted, I wanted to let you know, in case you haven't seen it, I gave you a Loveliest Blog Award at: http://domesticgoddessinthekitchen.blogspot.com/

23. Pixelbot
    Posted February 11, 2011 at 2:23 PM | Permalink

Awesome, i just can't find words!

24. A Little Girl
    Posted February 11, 2011 at 4:56 PM | Permalink

These are beautiful! I don't know that I could even eat one. I would just want to bake several dozen of them and set them up on pastel colored platters. They remind me of candy land. Gorgeous!

25. מרק עדשים
    Posted June 6, 2011 at 2:03 AM | Permalink

this is really a party of colors and flavors. my kids really loves it. we all made it together it was amazing.