Little Peach Cakes

More Food Crafts:
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Mallow Candies
Rainbow Cupcakes with Rainbow Frosting
Candy Cake

The title of this post sounds like a term of endearment someone may bestow on a cute little child, but no, the photo is a shot of my Little Peach Cakes made this morning for when my niece and nephew come over to play. My own children were amazed at how real these little cakes appeared. They were almost too cute to cut into and eat but everyone loves a fresh peach right?

I had spotted these in a magazine years and years ago (maybe Southern Living?) and just today thought to make them. Although these do look quite complicated, I was thrilled at how easily they came together; a truly glorified cupcake! It helped that I had frosting already in my freezer and used a cake mix for the cakes. Colored sugar is easy to make by simply adding several drops of food coloring to sugar and shaking to incorporate.

A piece of cinnamon stick and a peppermint leaf complete the finishing touches. The Peach Cakes are placed on a pretty white platter to fool all who look upon them.

Little Peach Cakes

What you will need:

2 Wilton Mini Ball Pans
1/2 Duncan Hines Yellow cake mix, 1/4 cup butter, 2 eggs, 1/3 cup milk
red liquid food coloring
yellow liquid food coloring
3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
1 cinnamon stick
6-12 fresh peppermint leaves
12 whole almonds
One batch Buttercream Frosting

Ice cream or sorbet, optional
Raspberry sauce, optional

How to Make and Assemble:

1. You will only need 1/2 of a Duncan Hines yellow cake mix to make 6 Peach Cakes. Mix according to package directions- 1/2 cake mix with 1/4 cup softened butter, 2 eggs, 1/3 cup milk, and 12 drops yellow food coloring. Divide evenly among the 12 greased mini rounds- about +1/4 cup batter. Bake in 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool 2 minutes in pan then remove to wire rack. If you have one pan this can be done in two shifts!

2. While cakes are baking make the buttercream frosting and add about 12 drops of yellow food coloring to get a bright yellow. Set aside.

3. In two separate lidded containers, add 1/2 cup sugar and 12 drops yellow food coloring to one and 1/4 cup sugar and 6 drops red food coloring to the other. Cover each container and shake vigorously until the coloring is fully incorporated. Let the children do this! If there is clumping, break up with a fork and continue shaking. You should have a lovely bright yellow and a nice deep pink. You will have leftovers.

4. Break the cinnamon stick into small stems by taking a pair of scissors and placing the point into the hollow center of the stick and cutting. You will get both big and small bits, use the prettier pieces. See photo below…

5. Frost the flat side of six mini rounds, being sure to get the frosting very think along one edge. Place another mini round on the frosting and press together forming a peach. Run your finger or a small spoon along the frosting to make an indentation that mimics the crease on a peach.

6. Dip each “cheek” of the peach into the pink sugar. I am calling each “fleshy” side of the thick portion of frosting the cheek. Then roll the rest of the peach in the yellow sugar without covering the pink portion. Roll the frosting portion in the yellow sugar as well. Like this…

7. At the top of each peach, place a piece of cinnamon stick and a peppermint leaf. Arrange in a pretty bowl or on a platter. Decorate with more mint sprigs if desired.

How to Serve:

Once your guests have admired your lovely Little Peach Cakes centerpiece, it is time to serve this special dessert.

Cutting: It is best to use a very sharp, thin knife, cleaning between cuts to divide the peaches. I laid the peach down, thick portion of frosting facing up, and sliced straight down the center of the frosting pulling the knife straight back towards me once it hit the plate. You may smooth the frosting if necessary.

Plating Suggestions: Place an almond in the center of each peach half. I know a peach has but one pit but I think each serving should have its own pit, don’t you? If you serve each guest one half of a peach, it would be nice to place a cinnamon stick piece and peppermint leaf in each so that every one’s is pretty. For half servings you may want to serve it with a scoop of ice cream or sorbet and a drizzle of raspberry sauce. Whole peaches are quite filling, almost the size of 2 standard cupcakes, but without ice cream finishing a whole peach could be possible!

Storing Cakes: You may refrigerate or freeze cakes for a short time in an airtight container but be sure to serve at room temperature as they taste better that way and are easier to cut.

These are Peachy Keen.

More BRK Desserts:
Rainbow Cupcakes
Cookie Dough Pie
Soft Pretzel Samoas

1. jblum
    Posted July 8, 2009 at 7:32 PM | Permalink

I kept looking for the photo of the little cakes. I thought the photos were fresh peaches!

2. Anonymous
    Posted July 8, 2009 at 7:43 PM | Permalink

Beautiful! I'll never do this but they are beautiful!

3. noble pig
    Posted July 8, 2009 at 7:47 PM | Permalink

Are you kidding me? Geniuous I tell you, nothing less.

4. Tricia
    Posted July 8, 2009 at 8:26 PM | Permalink

WOW! How beautiful!

5. Alex
    Posted July 8, 2009 at 9:10 PM | Permalink

Hey these look amazing.

I wish there was a way to get spheres out of cupcake tins. (I'll google it soon.)

And maybe a way to make it peach flavored that doesnt involve peach jello…

Posted July 8, 2009 at 9:23 PM | Permalink

Alex- a bit of peach schnapps added to the frosting may give you that peachy flavor you are looking for. Let me know how it goes if you try it. Thanks for the visit! Robin Sue

7. Shannon
    Posted July 8, 2009 at 9:51 PM | Permalink

Wow! These are fabulous! I have a good friend with a birthday coming up on the 17th- she would love little peach cakes (and she used to live in Georgia)!!! Thanks for another great idea, Robin!

8. Rorie
    Posted July 8, 2009 at 10:19 PM | Permalink

Hi,
    I absolutely love these peach cakes and am dying to make them, but I have one question. How did you get the sugar to stay on the cake part of the peaches?
    Thanks for the recipe!

9. Elra
    Posted July 9, 2009 at 12:07 AM | Permalink

OH WOW! I'M SPEECHLESS!!!!!!!!!
    Honestly, I thought they were real peaches. How clever and very talented!

Posted July 9, 2009 at 12:53 AM | Permalink

Rorie- the sugar will stick on its own and even two days later when my hubby ate his, the sugar was still perfect. Thanks for the comment!

11. Penny
    Posted July 9, 2009 at 9:59 AM | Permalink

This is a recipe not to be believed! You have out done yourself Robin Sue.

12. Jamie
    Posted July 9, 2009 at 10:40 AM | Permalink

Wow…these look amazing! Well done!

13. Zoe
    Posted July 9, 2009 at 2:48 PM | Permalink

What a sweet idea!! So lovely!

14. momofthree
    Posted July 9, 2009 at 2:57 PM | Permalink

I can't wait to try this over the weekend. I love how realistic they look! I bet they are so yummy too!

15. Joan Nova
    Posted July 9, 2009 at 9:22 PM | Permalink

You got a winner here…I think I'm #66 to comment. Kudos! Great execution. They are so real looking and I love the touch of the almond as a pit.

16. Sara
    Posted July 9, 2009 at 9:27 PM | Permalink

These are seriously the cutest cakes I've ever seen! I wonder if you could flavor the cake or frosting with peaches somehow…hmmm…

17. Anonymous
    Posted July 9, 2009 at 9:40 PM | Permalink

I actually have a similar recipe from an old italian woman but more like cookie dough. I modified the shape and created peaches, pears,apples and bananas. I dipped them in Kirsch before rolling them in colored sugar.

18. Debashree
    Posted July 10, 2009 at 7:53 AM | Permalink

amazing!!!!!!!
    Wanna express your love for your loved one, in a matchless style? How about on real TV! Yeah, the dating format of Uploaded.TV gives you this opportunity. Express your love, record it, and upload the video in http://www.uploaded.tv. Watch your video on real TV, across the globe, and let not only your loved one but also, the world know how much you are in love!

19. monisetonoli
    Posted July 10, 2009 at 8:58 AM | Permalink

Gorgeous!!!

20. Nicisme
    Posted July 10, 2009 at 12:00 PM | Permalink

I've always wanted to make these, yours are fantastic – well done!!!

21. spb
    Posted July 10, 2009 at 7:32 PM | Permalink

Now there is a dessert that would impress my soon to be daughter-in-law lol… I can't wait to see her face when they are served!

22. Easy Street Insomniaque
    Posted July 10, 2009 at 8:24 PM | Permalink

That is so cool! I will be trying this recipe over the weekend. Thanks for such an interesting idea!

23. Holli
    Posted July 11, 2009 at 1:33 AM | Permalink

It would be fairly easy to flavor these; just add a teaspoon of peach extract to the cake and to the icing. Or you could sub peach nectar for the milk in the cupcakes. Since stuff like applesauce or prune puree are used as egg subs, I'm wondering if you couldn't use peach puree in that same facility here. It would be worth a shot!

Oh, and to the nasty poster who complained about the taste. Kind of like gay marriage: if you don't want one, don't have one. You don't have to be rude. Feel free to make your peaches from scratch.

24. Gluten Free Cooking Expo
    Posted July 11, 2009 at 10:45 AM | Permalink

These are just beautiful! I am going to try and make a gluten-free version.

25. Anonymous
    Posted July 11, 2009 at 5:58 PM | Permalink

You can substitute the peach schnapps for the milk in the cake recipe. Ma