Cinnamon Roll Pancakes

The original and unique Cinnamon Roll Pancake recipe created by Robin Sue!

My little Deven loves pancakes and wants me to make them all the time, but I don’t often enough. Late last night my friend had spotted this Cinnamon Bun Pancake Recipe from the blogisphere and posted it on her Facebook status suggesting for her daughter to make them. Wow, Cinnamon Bun Pancakes, that would be a winner in my house too. So I went to bed with pancakes dancing in my head. I dreamed up ways to make this pancake recipe look and taste more like a cinnamon roll. I wanted a Cinnamon Roll Pancake that had a Cinnamon Roll’s telltale swirl, here is what I did…

I created a typical cinnamon roll filling and placed it in a pastry bag to be swirled over the pancakes as they cooked. I also added cream cheese to the icing and placed the icing in a pastry bag as well. It makes it very easy to fill the bags if you stand them up in tall tumblers.

After pouring 1/4 cup pancake batter in a hot skillet, I swirled the cinnamon filling mixture over top. Once the pancakes bubbled evenly, I flipped them over to cook about 30 seconds more. I plated the pancakes and squeezed icing over top. My children liked a bit of maple syrup over top too. These tasted just like pancakes and cinnamon rolls swirled into one. Although there were a few steps to this, I used only one bowl, and the end results were wonderful. With a side of sausage or bacon and some fruit, this dish is beautiful.

Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
For the Cinnamon Filling…
In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, mix until smooth:
1 stick softened butter, almost melty
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 T. cinnamon

Using a rubber spatula to scrape the sides, pour this mixture into a large pastry bag that had been opened and stood up in a tall tumbler. A large ziptop bag with the edges folded over the tumbler would work too.

For the Cream Cheese Icing…
In the same bowl that you used for the cinnamon filling, mix together, using the hand mixer again:
2 cups powdered sugar
2 ounces cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
4 T. milk

Mix until smooth and pour into a second pastry bag just like you did with the cinnamon mixture above.

For the Pancakes…
In the same bowl that you used for the filling and the icing- no need to be using or washing too many bowls now- mix together:
2 cups pancake mix- I used Bisquick’s Heart Healthy
3 eggs
1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 T. powdered sugar
1 1/4 cups milk

Using the hand mixer, blend until smooth. In a large non-stick skillet, over medium to medium-low heat, and using a 1/4 cup dry measuring cup, ladle 2 pancakes. Snip the tip off the pastry bag containing the cinnamon filling so that the opening is a scant 1/2 inch wide, swirl over cooking pancakes in a circular motion- 3 go-a-rounds should do. Continue to cook the pancakes until bubbles form evenly through each cake. Gently flip each pancake over and cook another 30-45 seconds, remove to a serving platter and serve immediately or keep warm covered in a warm oven. Continue with the rest of the batter. Place 2-3 pancakes side by side (too pretty to stack!) on each person’s plate and drizzle each one with icing. Serve maple syrup, bacon or sausage, and fruit on the side. Makes 18 pancakes.

Note- Using a damp paper towel, wipe your skillet after each pancake is made. This will keep the next pancake from sticking to any of the cinnamon filling that has leaked onto your skillet or griddle.
After I swirled each pancake with the cinnamon filling, I returned the pastry bag, tip down in the tumbler. This kept it from leaking all over.
Store any leftover icing in the refrigerator for future use.

Now I’ve created BAKED Cinnamon Roll Pancakes!

Another Thing of Interest!
Quick Cinnamon Rolls

Have a great Weekend!

Hey this recipe would be perfect for Father’s Day, June 20th…

DSC02865Try my New Triple Lemon Ricotta Pancakes

Posted June 12, 2010 at 11:59 AM | Permalink

Recipe Girl- Lori- there are tons of things we can do to these! Have fun.

Karen- How are you!! Thanks for letting me know you liked these.

2. LaDue & Crew
    Posted June 12, 2010 at 10:13 PM | Permalink

These sound like a million explosions of Yumilicity! I know what I am seriously making for breakfast tomorrow!

3. Jodi
    Posted June 13, 2010 at 11:21 AM | Permalink

These tasted good, but certainly didn't look like your photos. My personal opinion is that the batter is too thin. In the future I will try it with less milk. But still, very tasty! Thanks for the recipe.

Posted June 14, 2010 at 7:29 AM | Permalink

Jodi- My thought is that you could probably use any of your favorite pancake recipes then add the cinnamon filling. I like my pancakes on the thinner side but most like them a bit thicker, I thought the thick ones would be too rich so let me know how it goes with a thicker batter! Thanks!

5. bmk112302
    Posted June 14, 2010 at 9:06 AM | Permalink

Thanks for sharing such a fantastic recipe. We made them for breakfast this weekend and they were absolutely delicious!

6. EAT!
    Posted June 15, 2010 at 10:00 PM | Permalink

Crazy cool and I can't wait to make these pancakes. No Thank You Boy is going to jump for joy.

7. Kristen
    Posted June 16, 2010 at 12:01 AM | Permalink

You are kidding me? I think I've died and gone to pancake heaven. This is absolutely brilliant, Robin!

8. muddywaters
    Posted June 16, 2010 at 12:14 PM | Permalink

Cool! I have a wife and daughter who will love this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Keep up the great work.

take care,
    muddy

9. gfe--gluten free easily
    Posted June 17, 2010 at 5:56 PM | Permalink

Those are incredible! I must make a gluten-free version ASAP!

Shirley

10. Karen
    Posted June 18, 2010 at 4:03 PM | Permalink

I'm not a big pancake eater, but I'd love to make some of these for my granddaughter! They look yummy 🙂

11. Nicisme
    Posted June 18, 2010 at 4:20 PM | Permalink

Oh those are darling! I must remember to try this – great idea!

12. baking.serendipity
    Posted June 18, 2010 at 5:48 PM | Permalink

What a great combination of flavors! These are so creative and and pretty 🙂 There were so many tempting links on your Father's Day post!

13. Holly
    Posted June 20, 2010 at 8:01 AM | Permalink

I tried these and they tasted great, but the cinnamon swirl tended to leak out when I flipped them, resulting in pancakes with little channels cut into them. I did use a different pancake recipe, so maybe that had something to do with it. Maybe with a thinner batter, the swirl cooks more into the pancake before you flip them?

14. Jessica
    Posted June 21, 2010 at 10:44 PM | Permalink

I stumbled across your beautiful blog too late for Father's day, but I don't need a special day to fix my sweet hubby something special. Think I'm going to prepare the sweet & spicy pork tenderloin. He'll love it!

jessyburke88@gmail.com

15. Alice
    Posted June 22, 2010 at 3:11 PM | Permalink

thanks for the recipe…so going to try this when I got back home…

16. Avanika [YumsiliciousBakes]
    Posted June 22, 2010 at 5:30 PM | Permalink

This is genius!!!

17. Anonymous
    Posted June 24, 2010 at 10:55 AM | Permalink

Made these this morning for Poppy and Birdie (ma & pa), they loved them! Thanks for the cutest idea!

18. Kevin
    Posted June 24, 2010 at 12:09 PM | Permalink

These cinnamon roll pancakes look and sound so amazingly good!

19. Ingrid
    Posted June 24, 2010 at 9:32 PM | Permalink

Ha-ha! YES, melty marshmallows and graham cracker cake void out chocolate. I actually didn't use as much chocolate as I suggested and I didn't eat my piece with the chocolate drizzle. 🙂

How have you been? Busy with summer vacation, baseball, and such? Hope you guys are having a good one!
    ~ingrid

20. Lenetta @ Nettacow
    Posted June 25, 2010 at 3:31 PM | Permalink

The best of both worlds, I think! :>) I linked to this on my weekly roundup – my growling tummy thanks you, but my hips, well, not so much. :>)

21. Rikelle
    Posted June 26, 2010 at 2:36 PM | Permalink

These look absolutely amazing. I am making these for my hubby today since I was gone on father's day. Thanks for being so generous with your recipe!

22. Mama B.
    Posted July 12, 2010 at 6:26 PM | Permalink

Hello! Those look fantastic. What a great thing for a church breakfast! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to bookmark this and pass it along.

23. Megan Novak
    Posted July 22, 2010 at 10:58 PM | Permalink

I made these with my friends and they were wonderful! I would recommend smaller thinner swirls of cinnamon or else the sugar will cook too quickly and will caramelize to the pan and the flavor is too overpowering. Definitely a special treat pancake though, and not a typical weekend pancake.

24. Felecia
    Posted July 24, 2010 at 10:13 PM | Permalink

Oh My Word, that looks Amazing! I will have to try it out sometime.

25. Magic of Spice
    Posted July 27, 2010 at 1:43 PM | Permalink

Wow, those are some amazing pancakes! They look absolutely mouth watering:)