Cinnamon Roll Pancakes

The original and unique Cinnamon Roll Pancake recipe created by Robin Sue!

My little Deven loves pancakes and wants me to make them all the time, but I don’t often enough. Late last night my friend had spotted this Cinnamon Bun Pancake Recipe from the blogisphere and posted it on her Facebook status suggesting for her daughter to make them. Wow, Cinnamon Bun Pancakes, that would be a winner in my house too. So I went to bed with pancakes dancing in my head. I dreamed up ways to make this pancake recipe look and taste more like a cinnamon roll. I wanted a Cinnamon Roll Pancake that had a Cinnamon Roll’s telltale swirl, here is what I did…

I created a typical cinnamon roll filling and placed it in a pastry bag to be swirled over the pancakes as they cooked. I also added cream cheese to the icing and placed the icing in a pastry bag as well. It makes it very easy to fill the bags if you stand them up in tall tumblers.

After pouring 1/4 cup pancake batter in a hot skillet, I swirled the cinnamon filling mixture over top. Once the pancakes bubbled evenly, I flipped them over to cook about 30 seconds more. I plated the pancakes and squeezed icing over top. My children liked a bit of maple syrup over top too. These tasted just like pancakes and cinnamon rolls swirled into one. Although there were a few steps to this, I used only one bowl, and the end results were wonderful. With a side of sausage or bacon and some fruit, this dish is beautiful.

Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
For the Cinnamon Filling…
In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, mix until smooth:
1 stick softened butter, almost melty
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 T. cinnamon

Using a rubber spatula to scrape the sides, pour this mixture into a large pastry bag that had been opened and stood up in a tall tumbler. A large ziptop bag with the edges folded over the tumbler would work too.

For the Cream Cheese Icing…
In the same bowl that you used for the cinnamon filling, mix together, using the hand mixer again:
2 cups powdered sugar
2 ounces cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
4 T. milk

Mix until smooth and pour into a second pastry bag just like you did with the cinnamon mixture above.

For the Pancakes…
In the same bowl that you used for the filling and the icing- no need to be using or washing too many bowls now- mix together:
2 cups pancake mix- I used Bisquick’s Heart Healthy
3 eggs
1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 T. powdered sugar
1 1/4 cups milk

Using the hand mixer, blend until smooth. In a large non-stick skillet, over medium to medium-low heat, and using a 1/4 cup dry measuring cup, ladle 2 pancakes. Snip the tip off the pastry bag containing the cinnamon filling so that the opening is a scant 1/2 inch wide, swirl over cooking pancakes in a circular motion- 3 go-a-rounds should do. Continue to cook the pancakes until bubbles form evenly through each cake. Gently flip each pancake over and cook another 30-45 seconds, remove to a serving platter and serve immediately or keep warm covered in a warm oven. Continue with the rest of the batter. Place 2-3 pancakes side by side (too pretty to stack!) on each person’s plate and drizzle each one with icing. Serve maple syrup, bacon or sausage, and fruit on the side. Makes 18 pancakes.

Note- Using a damp paper towel, wipe your skillet after each pancake is made. This will keep the next pancake from sticking to any of the cinnamon filling that has leaked onto your skillet or griddle.
After I swirled each pancake with the cinnamon filling, I returned the pastry bag, tip down in the tumbler. This kept it from leaking all over.
Store any leftover icing in the refrigerator for future use.

Now I’ve created BAKED Cinnamon Roll Pancakes!

Another Thing of Interest!
Quick Cinnamon Rolls

Have a great Weekend!

Hey this recipe would be perfect for Father’s Day, June 20th…

DSC02865Try my New Triple Lemon Ricotta Pancakes

1. Catharine - with 2 A's
    Posted August 4, 2010 at 3:08 PM | Permalink

I've done these now a couple of times, thanks so much! They have been a hit!
    They are great in a mini size also… make a bunch when you have time and freeze them…then pop a tray-full in the oven before church Sunday morning for a no-fuss-special-breakfast…the mini size is fun, it turns them into a kid friendly finger food. 🙂

2. haleyleann
    Posted August 16, 2010 at 3:39 PM | Permalink

I've made these several times now. My family LOVES them! Thanks so much for sharing your tip! I put the recipe for them today on my blog. http://athomewithhaley.blogspot.com/2010/08/cinnamon-roll-pancakes.html

3. instinctivelyso
    Posted August 18, 2010 at 6:09 PM | Permalink

I just made them… wow. They are fanTAStic. You almost would hate to pair them with ANYTHING else!

4. Tracey @ BellaSkyDesigns
    Posted September 16, 2010 at 2:36 PM | Permalink

Thank you for sharing this recipe!! I just made these today! They are truly amazing! I posted about them on my blog!

5. Anonymous
    Posted October 10, 2010 at 3:17 AM | Permalink

I love you. I truly do.

6. Tiffany
    Posted October 12, 2010 at 5:40 PM | Permalink

I am totally going to make these! Thanks!

7. the country cook
    Posted October 13, 2010 at 5:01 PM | Permalink

SUCH a great idea!! I'm totally trying this someday when I want the cinnamon bun without all of the fuss. Bookmarking this! 🙂

8. OpenDesertEyes
    Posted October 23, 2010 at 3:15 PM | Permalink

I've found pouring a little extra batter over the cinnamon filling after you've swirled it on helps so you don't lose as much of the filling when you flip the pancake.

9. Anonymous
    Posted December 12, 2010 at 11:09 AM | Permalink

Looks soo good! How many pancakes does that usually make?

Posted December 12, 2010 at 11:56 AM | Permalink

Anon-18.

11. jennifer
    Posted December 13, 2010 at 7:28 PM | Permalink

Oh goodness. I must keep these a secret from the husband…at least until Christmas day. I am definitely making these for him on Christmas morning! He will love, love, love you for this!

Thank you you SO much for sharing, Robin!

Jen
    @Southhoney

12. Manuela
    Posted January 21, 2011 at 7:27 PM | Permalink

These look sooo yummy! Will give it a shot soon! Thanks for posting!

13. The Texas Peach
    Posted February 28, 2011 at 7:45 PM | Permalink

Very pretty! These would be a really great breakfast idea for when you have overnight guests. A nice, unexpected variation on a classic breakfast item.

14. Jen
    Posted March 4, 2011 at 2:43 PM | Permalink

These look delicious — can't wait to try them. But, I did want to point out a couple of things. You should never, ever mix pancake batter "until smooth." You want lumps of flour in the batter; if it's smooth, it's overworked, and your pancakes will be very flat and rubbery. To avoid overmixing, don't mix with a mixer (hand or stand.) I use a wooden spoon or a spatula and fold the dry ingredients into the wet until just barely combined.

15. Erin A
    Posted March 6, 2011 at 2:23 AM | Permalink

Ah! Yes…these ARE delicious! Made a similar recipe this morning and they were TO DIE FOR!

I did however make mine with a from scratch pancake batter recipe that cooked up what are probably the most fluffy pancakes I've ever made from scratch! Soooo good! I posted my recipe too, but I am so bummed that I missed National Pancake day…that would have been teh best day to do it. Oh well! So glad to see a little bit of a quicker way to do this too!!! 🙂 Love it.

16. RecipeGirl
    Posted March 16, 2011 at 10:14 AM | Permalink

How bizarre- I made a version of these recently and had completely forgotten that I had even seen them last summer on your blog!! Yours look much more like cinnamon rolls than mine did- mine were more swirly, sugary pancakes with glaze drizzled onto them. Still loved them. I guess it probably has to do w/ the consistency of the pancake batter that you're using.

17. Miri Leigh
    Posted March 24, 2011 at 9:52 PM | Permalink

These look FANTASTIC. Absolutely can't wait to try out the recipe!

18. Anonymous
    Posted April 13, 2011 at 11:41 AM | Permalink

My husband is diabetic and I use Almond milk and Splenda in his recipes,this sounds like a great treat for him and easy to subsitute with, I'm always looking for new things, thank you.!!!

19. Strawberry
    Posted April 13, 2011 at 1:05 PM | Permalink

I made those for a breakfast meeting at work a couple of weeks back! Everyone – EVERYONE – loved them, raved about them, wanted more! Thank you for the idea. I will have to try them at home as my spouse did not get any! Mine also did not turn out quite as pretty, but all good cooks know that the worse it looks, the better it tastes!

20. DJ
    Posted April 16, 2011 at 11:33 AM | Permalink

This recipe is amazing. I can't wait to make it for my kids when they come to visit. I already have them thinking about it cause I posted the picture to my Facebook page and my sons roommates whan to know when I am coming to make them.

21. HippieMama
    Posted April 19, 2011 at 12:59 PM | Permalink

I stumbledupon this recipe and HAD to try it! These are by far the richest, most decadent and ridiculous pancakes I have ever eaten. I served them for brunch for my husband and two boys and nobody could eat more than one and a half. They are simply AMAZING! The only thing I would change, is I would make the batter a little thicker next time. Since the cinnamon butter absorbs into the pancake and leaves delicious little channels, that area of the pancake becomes quite thin. Overall, though, these will definitely be made in this house again, though I will likely serve them as a dessert next time (or a special request birthday breakfast) because they are SO deliciously bad for you!Thanks for the recipe! Five Stars!!!

22. Michael Lange Optometrist
    Posted May 4, 2011 at 12:18 PM | Permalink

I always ad a bit more vanilla extract than the recipe calls for and it makes it soooooo good.

23. Anonymous
    Posted October 10, 2011 at 2:38 PM | Permalink

Awesome recipe! I tried it when I saw it here the first time.

Rachel

24. angela white
    Posted June 2, 2012 at 12:03 AM | Permalink

The pancakes were awesome! We had them twice in one week. I chilled the left over cinnamon filling as well as the icing. I set both of them out 30 minutes ahead of time and they were ready for round two!

• Robin Sue
      Posted June 2, 2012 at 9:05 AM | Permalink

Angela,
      So glad you liked them!
      Robin Sue

25. mrsahunt
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 11:37 AM | Permalink

I was looking for a good cinnamon roll pancake recipe i’ve tried others with a strudel topping but i really didn’t care for them the topping was really gummy, so i found this recipe tried it and my kids thought i was the best mom ever, the boys said wow mom how you make these right when i was starting to stick my chest out my 6 and 8 yr old daughters said its easy just look on the internet thats what she did she just looked them up on the internet and made them, all in all they were a hit so now its on to the baked ones, im going to spring that one on my husband for a breakfast dinner night this time i’ll make sure no one is watching me look up the recipe lol, thanks for the wonderful recipe.