The fastest way to “rice” cauliflower: video

I eat cauliflower often, especially cauliflower “rice”. It makes a tasty paleo side dish in lieu of rice. I have tried many ways to “rice” cauliflower, from chopping it by hand, placing it in the food processor, or grating it, with all of them proving to be a pain in the bum. Then I had remembered how my friend’s mom used to make her coleslaw. She placed rough chopped cabbage in her blender, filled it with water, and presto, she had the most perfectly chopped cabbage for slaw. Eureka! It works for cauliflower too. Very easy to do, and even easier clean up. Store some cauli “rice” in a Mason Jar for quick and healthy side dishes during the week.

Enjoy the video and take a shot of your favorite espresso (or spirit- gasp!) every time I say “so”. You’ll be buzzed by the end, I promise.

If you think this idea is pretty cool, please share.

Here is one of my recipes using the “riced” cauliflower- Lemon Couscous Pilaf.

Also my video showing you how to make Stir-fried Cauliflower Rice.
Then for some Tex-Mex, try my Cilantro-Lime Cauliflower Rice.

My blender is a vitamix-prep (Himself likes smoothies), but you can use a regular blender working in smaller batches which is still faster than a hand grater and loss of fingernails- ouch.  The canning funnel used in the video is this one.

Mason Jar Meal recipes and ideas, click here.
More Paleo recipes, click here.
My Paleo Journey, click here.
My CrossFit Journey, click here.

Another way Big Red Kitchen is KEEPIN’ IT GLASSY

1. Nicole
    Posted August 15, 2014 at 6:06 PM | Permalink

Thank you for this!! This was the most successful way I’ve ever tried to rice cauliflower. My family and I will be enjoying cilantro lime cauliflower “rice” tonight (Chipotle style).

2. Nicole
    Posted August 15, 2014 at 6:12 PM | Permalink

This was my most successful attempt to rice cauliflower!! Thanks for this. My family and I are enjoying cilantro lime cauliflower “rice” tonight (Chipotle style).

3. Ruth Buckham
    Posted August 22, 2014 at 6:25 PM | Permalink

Pure genius!! I have a small food processor and it’s a huge process and a big pain to use it and it doesn’t always rice evenly. This worked like a charm and I thank you SO much for sharing. I’ve forwarded it to 4 friends!!!

4. Jess
    Posted November 20, 2014 at 11:07 AM | Permalink

This method doesn’t leave the cauliflower too wet…?

• Robin Sue
      Posted December 4, 2014 at 8:39 AM | Permalink

No, I strain it and the other moisture left will cook off.

• Janet
      Posted February 24, 2015 at 7:08 PM | Permalink

Hi – This looks amazing and I can’t wait to try. Any suggestions on a general rule of thumb as to how much water to use? Assuming I’m using the largest head of cauliflower I can find…

• Robin Sue
      Posted March 10, 2015 at 9:15 PM | Permalink

I make sure there is lots of space for the cauliflower to circulate.

5. Anna
    Posted March 23, 2015 at 9:52 AM | Permalink

Has anyone tried this with frozen cauliflower?

6. andari
    Posted October 16, 2015 at 4:39 AM | Permalink

thank you so much for this insane clever idea 🙂

7. Saratmcc
    Posted October 31, 2015 at 11:37 PM | Permalink

By blending do you use loose a lot of the nutrients ?

• Robin Sue
      Posted November 14, 2015 at 12:34 PM | Permalink

I think the experts say we do lose nutrients as soon as we cut into our veg or fruit. You can save the water to make veggie broth if you like.

8. Melissa
    Posted January 21, 2016 at 7:12 PM | Permalink

I just tried this method with a quarter of a cauliflower in an Osterizer blender that has been sitting unused in my cupboard for years, but alas, it chopped some of the cauliflower too fine before all of it was chopped. I guess it takes a better blender for this to work.

9. Dori
    Posted January 22, 2016 at 6:16 PM | Permalink

Does it come out more of a couscous texture rather than crumbles? I tried this today for the first time and I’m not sure if the texture is correct or not. Thank you!

10. elsa wohlford
    Posted January 27, 2016 at 10:33 PM | Permalink

what other cheese can I substitute for goat cheese.

11. curious
    Posted November 1, 2016 at 5:33 PM | Permalink

why do you put water in when blending cauliflower? And do you let it dry out completely before putting into mason jar and in to fridge? I was at work when I watched the video and missed some steps 🙂

• Robin
      Posted November 2, 2016 at 4:08 PM | Permalink

The water creates a vortex for the cauli to travel from bottom to top of blender over and over. Yes I drain it in a fine strainer, then store it in a jar in the fridge.

12. Dawn
    Posted November 10, 2016 at 7:29 PM | Permalink

Wow. Looks super easy. Can’t wait to try it. This will definitely be helpful to have ‘rice’ precut and ready to go.

13. Melanie
    Posted November 14, 2016 at 12:04 PM | Permalink

I have a juicer and I am wondering if using that to rice the cauliflower would work? It separates the juice from everything else and leaves only dry fluffy cauliflower. Is that too dry to turn out properly? It seems too easy to work.

• Robin
      Posted November 17, 2016 at 10:34 AM | Permalink

I am not sure if this would work? It may be to fine.

14. Steve R
    Posted November 20, 2016 at 6:19 PM | Permalink

My wife was making a recipe that our daughter sent us that required “riced” cauliflower. While my wife was preparing the rest of the ingredients, I volunteered to rice the cauliflower, thinking that it would be a tedious process. Thanks to your video, about 2 minutes after I washed the cauliflower, I was pouring the finished product into a strainer. My wife was more than a little impressed. Thank you for the excellent instructions and video.

15. Rick
    Posted December 28, 2016 at 5:24 PM | Permalink

Thank you very much for the video. I never knew cauliflower could be used for rice. Great. I love it. I have been looking for the right things to eat and wow. I am totally satisfied. I first heard about riced cauliflower when I saw it and purchased it at a store I shop at. I bought a bag and tried it. Perfect. The only problem was the salt content 500 mil of salt being a diabetic I looked online and say your video. Thank you so much.
    Rick

9 Trackbacks

1. […] of goat cheese contrasts with the deep earthy flavor of rosemary, perfectly. Made with a base of grated or riced cauliflower and a smidgeon of coconut flour, these muffins are indeed Paleo as well as gluten-free and super […]

2. […] The fastest way to “rice” cauliflower: video | Big Red … […]

3. […] Rice a head of cauliflower. If you haven't done so before, here is the best way to quickly do so, and how I learned to do it: video from the Big Red Kitchen on how to rice cauiflower […]

4. By A Weekend Update - Wife BeginsWife Begins on February 16, 2015 at 8:36 AM

[…] 1: Louisiana BBQ Shrimp with Caulirice. Made this last night. It was very tasty. […]

5. […] a while back and made the biggest mess ever and never wanted to try again. That was until I saw this video on how to easily and quickly rice cauliflower. Life […]

6. […] Via: bigredkitchen.com […]

7. […] tazas de coliflor cruda, hizo arroz fino 2 cucharadas de chile jalapeño picado 2 huevos, batidos 2 cucharadas de mantequilla derretida […]

8. […] the food processor until it resembles rice. I pulsed it in a blender with water. Here is an easy  video to understand what I did to “rice” […]

9. By Riced Cauliflower Paleo Recipe - Skinny5 on June 12, 2015 at 1:11 AM